While it may sometimes seem that the new Boris Johnson-led Government is doing everything possible to make sure Brexit fails, we can’t just wait for Brexit to fail. As both the damage already done and the risk of a disastrous no-deal Brexit increases, we must do what we can to stop Brexit….and we need to do this before October 2019!

But what can each of us do? Read on!

Join Cambridge Stays

If you haven’t already done so join Cambridge Stays, by doing so you will not only be joining a network of people dedicated to preventing the damaging mistake that is Brexit, but your membership fee will help us to fund future events and initiative, and help us to work with groups across the UK (and beyond) who are campaigning to stop Brexit.


In a Parliamentary democracy one of the most powerful tools you have to influence the direction this country takes is your vote, so make sure that you register to vote and vote in every election you are qualified to vote in.

Citizens of EU member states, Commonwealth member states, and the UK are all entitled to vote in local elections.

Contact your MP

Probably the single most effective action any of us can take is to contact our MP and discuss with them why it is so important that we halt Brexit and remain a member of the EU. Even if you are not entitled to vote in UK General Elections, for example if you are a citizen of another EU country, your MP is still supposed to represent you and your interests. You can contact your MP by writing to them, by email, or by arranging to talk with them at a constituency surgery.

We have advice on what to say and ask for when writing to your MP, and the contact details of our local MPs, on our “Write to your MP” page.

Write to your MEP

You can also write to your MEP, and you can find out who they are on the European Parliament website. MEPs will play an important role in the Brexit negotiations, so it is well worth your while to write to them (apart from the waste-of-space Brexit Party MEPS!).

Write to a member of the House of Lords

The fact that the Government does not have an overall majority in the House of Commons means that the House of Lords is in a stronger position than usual. This is important as the House of Lords, many of whose members are individuals with great experience and expertise outside politics, have been more vocal in their opposition to Brexit than the majority of MPs.

You can find a list of members of the House of Lords and their contact details on the UK Parliament website, and as they don’t represent a particular constituency it’s worth doing a little research to identify members who are interested in a particular issue or region before contacting them.

Write to your local newspaper

Even in this internet age local newspapers are widely read, and writing to your local newspaper can be a good way of drawing their editors attention to an issue, and also of showing to other readers that there are many who still oppose Brexit.

Letters to local newspapers need to be kept short – 250 words is the maximum allowed by some papers – be polite  factual, and to be effective need to be sharply focused on one issue.  Where possible focus on local issues, such as the services, environmental protection, jobs. Challenge/support Brexit related articles, or comment on articles you find in the newspaper. Here is a letter from one of our members that was the featured letter in the Cambridge news on 24 May 2018.

Note that many local newspapers only print Letters to the Editor in their print editions, and not online, and the print editions are also where you will find information about submitting letters.

There are several newspapers in our region, including:

If you are a student you can also write articles for student newspapers, as well as sending in letters. In Cambridge the main student newspapers are:

Take part in an event

Whether it’s a march, a rally, a talk or just a meet up with other remain supporters, there’s always something happening. We regularly advertise upcoming events on our Facebook page and Twitter feed, and we also list them on our events calendar.

Tell us your ideas

Do you have an idea for an event, speaker, campaign or new initiative? Please contact us at info@cambridgestays.org.uk and tell us all about it!